Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Perfect Fall Smoothie


The onset of fall has brought a bounty of winter squashes to my CSA boxes. The other day I was pondering what to do with them when it hit me - roast them and make pumpkin smoothies (well, pumpkinish as none of my winter squashes are actually pumpkins. I did get one pumpkin but Jane quickly stole that and drew faces and put stickers all over it so I couldn't cook it up after that).

First I rinsed off the squashes (for the first batch I chose the kabocha and acorn squash) and then cut them in half and scooped out the seeds - which I roasted alongside the squashes. Next I cut the squashes into slices and roasted them for approximately 30-40 minutes on 400F (seeds should only roast for about 20 minutes). When the squashes were soft I pulled them out of the oven and let them cool. Once cooled I scooped them out of their skin and put them into a bowl. This made about 4 cups. If you don't want to roast the squash yourself, you can use pumpkin from a can.



There are several delicious ways you can use roasted winter squash in a smoothie. I have made two variations, one with banana and one with oatmeal. The oatmeal one is a little bit thicker and tends to keep me satisfied a little longer, although both are quite filling. Try them both and let me know which one you prefer.

oatmeal version


Pumpkin(ish) Smoothie
1 cup roasted winter squash (acorn, butternut, kabocha, pumpkin, etc) or canned pumpkin
2 Tbs chia seeds or flax seeds
1 banana (preferably frozen) or 1/3 cup rolled oats (preferably soaked in almond milk for at least an hour or two and up to overnight)
1 cup almond milk (can substitute real milk or any nondairy milk)
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp cinnamon
5 drops vanilla stevia (or 1 packet stevia or 1 Tbs maple syrup or 1 Tbs Honey - not necessary if using a banana)

Put all ingredients into a blender and blend until a smooth consistency is reached.

2 comments:

  1. I am totally going to try this. Sounds awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made this today but didn't have everything at home so I had to substitute with rice milk and coconut sugar and decided to add a splash of vanilla as well. It was super good and made me think of raw pumpkin pie (minus the eggs) BUT the kids wouldn't go for it. I even doctored theirs up with a bit of honey and would have nothing to do with it.

    ReplyDelete