Friday, January 4, 2013

Essential Oils: Discovering Nature's Power



A few months ago a new friend introduced me to a key component to optimizing my family's health through natural methods - essential oils. While I had heard the term essential oils before, and had even bought some tea tree oil to clean my yoga mat once, I really had no idea what they are all about. That day I bought a starter kit with 9 different types of oils and they have been rocking my world ever since. I can’t believe that it has taken me so long to learn about essential oils and start using them! 

Essential oils are nature’s living energy. They are the aromatic volatile liquids found in flowers, trees, shrubs, roots, bushes and seeds. These oils are what defend plants against insects, environmental conditions and disease. They are what plants utilize to grow, live, evolve and adapt to its surroundings. Basically they are the power house of nature and through a steam distillation process they are available to us to reap the same benefits. 

These oils have been used for thousands of years and there are more than 200 references to them in the Bible. The three wise men brought frankincense and myrrh oils to Jesus and various essential oils were found in the tomb of King Tut. They were often referred to as “Mankind’s First Medicine” and were respected for their medicinal and healing properties. 

Of course, as with everything, quality is of the utmost importance when it comes to essential oils. To truly receive the vast benefits of the oils, you must go with a pure, therapeutic grade oil. I have been using Young Living products, which are the leader in the industry. 

In our house, we’ve been using the oils for various purposes such as killing air borne bacterias, taming a nighttime cough, cleaning, relaxation and restful nights, healing minor cuts, fighting viruses, aches and pains, and much more! I have a reference book that lists many ailments and conditions and the various essential oils that can be used to heal them. I love how the oils actually treat the problem instead of just the symptoms like modern day medicine does.

If you are interested in learning more about essential oils - please send me an email at jen@nutritiousinthecity.com. They are one of my favorite topics to talk about these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment