Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Balsamic Vinegar - Not your Grandma's Vinegar Anymore

For the past year I have been borderline obsessed with balsamic vinegar. I put it on everything - salads, roasted veggies, kale chips, smoothies - well, not yet but I bet there is a smoothie recipe out there that would work well with balsamic vinegar. I will have to do some experimentation with that one and get back to you.
Recently I read an article about different balsamic vinegars and it made me think I should probably step it up a bit and try different balsamic vinegars than the giant bottle I usually get from Costco. I had the opportunity to do this a few weeks ago when we were visiting our cousin Paula in Minnesota. She took us to a store called The Oilerie that had the most amazing infused vinegars and oils. You could sample them all and I was totally overwhelmed by which one(s) to get. Somehow I managed to narrow it down to an oregano white balsamic vinegar, a vanilla infused oil, and a 25 year balsamic vinegar.
 I had no idea I could feel so strongly for something in a bottle that contains no alcohol. It is absolutely delicious! Most recently I have discovered how yummy it is on popcorn. I wouldn't recommend this with your ordinary run-of-the-mill balsamic vinegar but if you find yourself an extraordinary bottle, I say drizzle away! And be sure to let me know what you think.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that it turned out so well. On popcorn is such a great idea. The blueberry balsamic we bought is a hit in our house!

    ReplyDelete