Sunday, June 24, 2012

Community-Supported Agriculture - filling in the hole for this city gal

My husband and I usually throw around the idea of moving to the suburbs at least once a year. This desire is usually born from one of two things: the desire for a garden and a yard for our daughter to run around. For the foreseeable future we are confident that the city is where we are supposed to be, but this still leaves a hole which can only be filled by pounds of locally grown organic vegetables. Enter our CSA (community-supported agriculture). We bought a share of a local organic farm and in turn we receive a box each week filled with the farm's bounty of fresh vegetables. It is a great way for a city girl like me to stay in tune with what is in season and get the opportunity to sample new produce that I probably wouldn't have tried (or even  heard of) on my own. Along with the produce we get a newsletter about what's going on at the farm and some recipe suggestions for the items in the box. This is my second week and I am so excited that we decided to do this. This weeks box contained: broccoli, zucchini, kale, tatsoi (never heard of this before but apparently it is an Asian green related to bok choy), scallions, lettuce, spinach, beets, basil and dill.

I believe the CSA that we are doing Angelic Organics still has shares available. They deliver all around the Chicago area so I encourage you to try it if you are like me and don't have a garden of your own.


As for the yard for our daughter to play in, the many parks of Chicago will have to fill this hole for now. While it would be nice to have a place where she can run and get out all of her energy as I enjoy the comforts of my own home, a girl can't have it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment