Sunday, June 10, 2012

A Tasting of Spring Veggies

It was my birthday the other day and after much debate we decided on Uncommon Ground for dinner. I love that this restaurant uses local, organic products whenever possible and its in walking distance from my house. The final clencher was when I saw 'Tasting of Spring Veggies' on the menu. I love the opportunity to try new vegetables and since I am totally clueless about gardening and growing my own spring vegetables (city living and my 10 by 10 foot back deck do not lend themselves easily to the mountains of kale and other glorious produce that I fantasize about one day supplying for my family), a menu item like this really excites me.

The dish was delicious and had several items that had me completely stumped as to what they were. There was an unfortunate incident involving my daughter and a cast iron skillet (what kind of a rookie puts a burning hot skillet in front of a 3 year old?) so I never did ask the waiter to describe to me what I was eating. So for now the green veggies flanking either side of the plate will remain a mystery - hopefully one day to be solved when I eat them again. Also, the dish rested on something described as porcini soil. It had a very unique taste - a little bit earthy yet sweet. Not for the newbie foodie but a memorable culinary experience all around.


1 comment:

  1. I've never eaten them, but I think the green things are called 'fiddleheads'??

    ReplyDelete