Sunday, July 1, 2012

2 Energizing Green Smoothies

A good friend of mine moved this weekend. I knew she had a busy day ahead of her, but we really wanted to connect at some point so we met first thing in the morning and went on a walk. I wanted her to get a healthy, energizing start to the day so I made 2 different smoothies and let her pick which one she wanted.

My go to breakfast is a green smoothie - I love them because they are packed with nutrients and its a great way to ensure you get more greens into your diet. Not to mention they taste great and start your day off on a healthy note. I don't know about you, but when I start my day off with a heavy, not so healthy breakfast, I tend to make poor food choices the rest of the day.

To learn more about why I love green smoothies and how I got started on them, read a guest blog I did here.


Raspberry Banana Green Smoothie
1/2 - 1 cup greens (spinach/kale/collard greens/etc - if you are just starting out on green smoothies, start with less greens and more fruit and gradually start adding more greens)
1 - cup berries (I used golden raspberries, red raspberries and blackberries I got from the farmer's market yesterday)
1 banana
1 tbs chia seeds (or flax seeds)
1 tbs coconut butter (optional)
2 tbs hemp seeds (for added protein, you could also use a protein powder or a handful of nuts or a scoop of almond butter)
1 cup water or almond milk
handful of ice cubes

Chocolate Banana Green Smoothie (per Jane's request)

1/2 - 1 cup greens (spinach/kale/collard greens/etc - if you are just starting out on green smoothies, start with less greens and more fruit and gradually start adding more greens)
1 banana
1-2 tbs unsweetened cocao powder (per preference)
1 tbs chia seeds (or flax seeds)
2 tbs hemp seeds (for added protein, you could also use a protein powder or a handful of nuts or a spoonful of almond butter)
1 cup water or almond milk
handful of ice cubes

Put all ingredients into a blender and blend well. I have a high speed blender but there are plenty of blenders that will work. Test yours out and see how long it takes to get a smooth consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment