Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Sauteed Greens - a Simple and Healthy Recipe

I recently went to a book club for the book 'To Kill a Mockingbird.' We each had to bring a dish with a southern theme. I immediately volunteered to bring greens, but after talking with a friend who makes southern greens regularly, I knew I'd have to put my own healthy spin on it instead of doing the traditional pork fat version. I searched through my files and dug up a recipe I had found a while ago but had not had the opportunity to make yet. It called for one large bunch of greens (chard, kale, spinach, etc). I cheated a little and bought a bag of pre-cut mixed greens from Trader Joe's. The dish was very tasty, very quick and a big hit at the book club. I encourage you to try this dish with any greens you have on hand or that are on sale at the grocery store (or even better, whichever greens are in season at your local farmer's market).

Quick Cooked Greens (from Edible Perspective)

  • 1 large bunch fresh, sturdy greens (or cheat like I did and buy a bag from the grocery store)
  • 2t tamari or soy sauce
  • 1/2T rice vinegar
  • 1/2T coconut oil
  • 4oz mushrooms + 1t coconut oil (optional)
Wash the greens, pat to dry, tear the greens away from the stem, and give a coarse chop.  If you don’t pat them dry, they will become soggy when cooked.  
  1. If cooking mushrooms, wash, pat dry, and chop however you like.  Heat a large skillet over medium heat with 1t coconut oil.  Once hot, place the mushrooms in the pan.  Stir frequently and cook for 4-6 minutes until just softening and starting to brown.  Remove from the pan and set aside.
  2. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 1/2T coconut oil in the pan.
  3. Once hot, add the greens and cook for 4-6min, stirring frequently.  It’s really up to you how cooked you want the greens. 
  4. After they are cooked to your liking, add in the tamari [or soy], rice vinegar, and mushrooms [if using].
  5. Stir for 20-30sec until well combined.
notes: You can definitely chop up the stems and eat them too.  I would cook those in the pan first, for 4-6min and then add the greens.

No comments:

Post a Comment