Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Breakfast for a Little Champ

Wednesday mornings are sports day at Jane's school. They play really hard outside for 3 hours so I wanted to make sure I sent her off with a belly full of nutrients. Lucky for me she asked for a chocolate smoothie this morning. Smoothies are by far the best way I have found to get all different kinds of nutrients in, plus they are easy to digest so all of her energy can go into her play instead of digesting her meal.

Today's smoothie consisted of spinach, banana, strawberries, cashew butter, cocoa powder, hemp seeds (great for protein and healthy fats) and date paste (you could substitute maple syrup, dates, honey, stevia, or any other sweetener you have on hand).


The measurements do not have to be exact but I used about a cup of strawberries and spinach and 1 Tbs each of the hemp seeds, cashed butter, date paste and unsweetened cocoa powder. I threw all of these ingredients along with 1 cup of almond milk into my blender and it was ready to be sucked down by a very excited little girl. 

She loves being a part of the smoothie making process


1 comment: