Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Pesto Sauce and a Refreshing Pudding

Between my CSA (which you can read about here) and the thriving basil plant on my back deck (proving that I have a shot at my dream of being a successful gardener one day), basil season is in full swing. This week I have found myself with a considerable amount of fresh basil that needs to be used soon. So I gathered together all of my basil and set out making two very different dishes. First up, a pesto sauce. I put together my own recipe that I thought turned out quite tasty.

Fresh Basil Pesto
2 cups basil
1/2 cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves
1 tbs lemon juice
1/3 cup sun dried tomatoes (packed in olive oil)
1/4 cup pine nuts
salt and pepper to taste

Put all ingredients into a food processor or blender and blend until you reach your desired consistency.

I like to use my pesto sauce in all different ways: dip for veggies, in a pasta, as salad dressing, or as a spread on a sandwich. Tonight I am planning on using the pesto sauce tossed with arugula and a black bean burger perched on top.

After making all of the pesto sauce I found myself slightly hungry and in need of something light and refreshing. I had just a handful of basil leftover so my mind started spinning about how I could use it and fulfill my craving. I threw some things I had on hand together and was quite pleased with what emerged. It was not really a smoothie; more like a pudding. Exactly what I needed to get me through this hot summer afternoon.

Basil and Pear Avocado Pudding
1 pear
1/2 avocado
4-5 basil leaves
1 tbs chia seeds
2 frozen figs (or a banana)
1/4 cucumber
1/4 cup water

Combine all ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth.



What is your favorite basil recipe? 

No comments:

Post a Comment